Sunday, January 8, 2012

Being a Nica

Nicaragua

The light breeze blows as I sit around and look at the beautiful woman around me it is hard not to feel peaceful. The mango trees have small green fruits and the palm and guava trees make Managua the tropical land I anticipated. The smell is reminiscent of other countries I have been to before such as Cambodia and Bali without the smell of incense, as Nicaragua is primarily a Catholic nation. The air is thick with the smell of burning garbage and fruitiness. I feel at home. The family I am living with for the week has four generations in one home. Great grandma (abuela), grandma, Urielle (son and our host dad) and his daughter(and other nieces and nephews who are around eight years old.) The sense of community here is astounding. I am learning how ´to be´ more and more each day and foster a lack of urgency in my daily tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment